Rifts Soaker WIP
Return to Savage Rifts
Work In Progress
Converted from The Rifter #19
Although Soakers are as common as Bursters, they tend to stick to coasts and islands, where their hydrokinetic abilities can best be used. There are exceptions found in dry, arid regions, however, whether to help villages plagued by drought or to fight the vampires plaguing the Southwest. Unlike all other eruptors, Soakers are not powerful damage-dealers; their abilities tend toward utility, defense, and attacks that are non-lethal except to vampires. They pull water out of the air, drawing from a vast area if necessary; no water source need be present. For the purpose of their abilities, any liquid which is at least 50% water counts as being water.
Soakers make Hero's Journey rolls as for the Burster (TLPG, p. 19). They begin with standard Starting Gear. They have access to water-based versions of the Burster's Iconic Edges (TLPG, p. 74), with the exception of Improved Fiery Aura and Improved Flame Bolt.
Soaker Abilities and Bonuses
- Psychic: A Soaker begins with Arcane Background (Psionics), choosing three powers from the list here, the Major Psionic Edge, and a d6 Psionics skill. Soakers begin with 20 ISP (10 ISP base, doubled by the Major Psionic Edge). Rank permitting, they may choose from arcane protection, barrier, boost Trait†, burst, darksight*, deflection*, detect/conceal arcana*, empathy, environmental protection, fear, mind link, protection*, relief*, smite*, speed†, stun, telekinesis, warrior’s gift*.
- Sense Water: A Soaker can sense nearby sources of water using Notice, detecting a large open source (ocean, river, etc.) at about 100 miles away or a large hidden source (like an underground lake) at about 200" (1/4 mile). For smaller sources, a 60-gallon aquarium could be sensed at up to (Smarts x 10), or a gallon jug at up to (Smarts). The GM will use these guidelines to gauge a fair range for the situation.
- Spray Water: The Soaker can fire a jet of water at a target out to (Smarts x 2) range, either to blind a target (as for blind with the Strong modifier) or knock them back (as a single-target havoc with the Strong modifier). This costs 1 ISP, or they may spend 2 ISP to add the Greater modifier.
- Vampire's Bane: Against vampires and those with a similar weakness to water, Spray Water inflicts 3d6 (1 ISP) or 4d6 (2 ISP) damage in addition to its usual effects, and Water Aura also acts as a 3d6 damage field.
- Water-Adapated: A Soaker can swim at full Pace, stay underwater indefinitely, and hold their breath for 15 minutes out of the water. They may even walk on water — or other liquids, though walking on acid will still burn them! Their powerful leg muscles let them jump twice as far as normal. Finally, they are impervious to cold, ignoring even the most potent freeze rays and ice shard attacks.
- Water Aura: As an action (no roll or ISP required) a Soaker can surround themselves with a field of water. This provides +6 Armor which stacks with protection and natural armor, but not worn armor; if the Soaker spends 1 ISP when activating it, it provides M.D.C. for the next 5 rounds. While active, the Soaker is slippery and hard to see; all attacks against the Soaker are at -2, doubled to -4 against grapples and entangles (and +4 to escape them). The aura drops whenever the Soaker is Incapacitated or unconscious.
- Water Mastery: As for the Burster's Fire Mastery (TLPG, p. 19), but range and duration are both x10 on a river or ocean. Soakers are invaluable aboard a ship!
- Cybernetics and Enemies: As for the Burster (TLPG, p. 20).
Redone from scratch, to be compared to Burster's 45 pts.
- HJ roll x2: 4 pts
- Iconic Edge Access (less than Burster): 1 pt
- AB: Psionics, Major Psionics: 4 pts
- Improved power access (vs. basic Psionics list): 3 pts*
- Psionics d6: 2 pts
- Sense Water (amazingly, the SPC has no sort of "detect" power, so this is eyeballed!): 3 pts*
- Spray Water (two abilities): 8 pts
- Vampire Bane: 0 pts (that's how vampires work!)
- Water-Adapated (Aquatic +2, Walk on Water +1, 1/2 Leaper +1, Immune to Cold +8): 12 pts
- Water Aura (Armor +3, Deflection +4, Entangle Bonus +1): 8 pts
- Water Mastery (as Burster, +1 for sea/river bonus): 4 pts
- Enemy (Major)x2: -4 pts
- TOTAL: 45 pts
Tribe of One's Breakdowns (for reference)
BURSTER HJ roll x2: 4 pts AB: Psionics, Major Psionics: 4 pts Blaster Edge: 4 pts (Note: This was left out of the forum post) Improved power access (vs. basic Psionics list): 3 pts* Psionics d6: 2 pts Everything Burns: 2 pts* Fiery Aura: 10 pts (3 for Level 1 damage field, 4 for stackable +1d6 melee, 3 for armor) Fire Mastery: 3 pts (similar to Storm) Firewalker: 12 pts (10 for fire immunity, 1 for elec resist, 1 for laser/ion resist) Fire Bolt: 4 pts (since it costs ISP, it's basically half the benefit of the Extra Powers edge to get Bolt, with a bonus 1d6 damage) Enemy (Major)x2: -4 pts Quirk: -1 pt Iconic Edge Access: 2* (only a couple are more powerful than standard edges, and most cost ISP) TOTAL: 45 pts (updated to include Blaster edge) ZAPPER HJ roll x2: 4 pts Absorb Electricity: 6 pts* Arc of Life: 4 pts* AB: Psionics: 2 pts Improved power access (vs. basic Psionics list): 3 pts* Psionics d6: 2 pts Electrical Aura: 10 pts (3 for Level 1 damage field, 4 for stackable +1d6 melee, 3 for armor) Electrical Immunity: 12 pts (10 for electrical immunity, 1 for fire/plasma resist, 1 for laser/p. beam resist) Electrical Mastery: 3 pts (similar to Storm) Lightning Bolt: 4 pts (since it costs ISP, it's basically half the benefit of the Extra Powers edge to get Bolt, with a bonus 1d6 damage) Cybernetics: -1 (since none at all/no Cyber-Psychic Alignment) Enemy (Major)x2: -4 pts Glitchy: -2 pts (Roughly twice as bad as All Thumbs) Iconic Edge Access: 2* (only a couple are more powerful than standard edges, and most cost ISP) TOTAL: 45 pts (note: To1 got the math here wrong in his forum post)