Return to MyGURPS
Veterans of the Weird West
There's no setting quite like Deadlands. And in my humble opinion, no system captures the feel of the setting quite as well as GURPS. Back in the day, there was an official sourcebook for merging the two, but the license did not extend to Fourth Edition, sadly.
Thus, I've been adapting things on my own, and it seems only right to share with the rest of the world. This conversion guide does assume you have a copy of the official book linked above. If you don't, I'm sure you'll still find this very useful, but you may have to convert over some of its content yourself, because I can't include it here. (Just because it's out of print doesn't mean it's not still copyrighted text!)
Errata and Updates:
- 3/7/13, v1.0: Changed the number of bonus cards and FP reduction a huckster gets from a successful roll, based on playtesting. Several minor rephrasings for clarity. This file is no longer beta.
- 11/6/12, v0.5: Adjusted the Instant Shot technique; now it's built as buying off the Bow penalty plus another -1 for "Only have to make one Bow roll" and -1 for "No Fast-Draw roll." Clarified the odds of a shaman invoking a manitou. Fixed several minor bugs in the GDF (thanks to Thomas Edwards).
- 10/20/12, v0.4: Based on playtest, changed the way Luck works for hucksters dealing with the devil, to make it much faster in play. Made the GCA data file (GDF) available.
- 10/14/12, v0.3: Clarified that mad scientists can buy gadgets (advantages with gadget limitations). Changed the martial artists' single Talent into five separate Talents.
- 9/28/12, v0.2: Added more detail to non-secret Harrowed disadvantages (thanks to Blind Mapmaker) and corrected the value of various Harrowed powers. Clarified the skills and perks that Gunslingers have access to.
- 9/15/12, v0.1: Document released in beta form, posted to the web for feedback
The following dozen characters were created using GCA (with the GDF above). They use both my house rules and the rules from the PDF above. I built them on 175 points and tried to cover a wide range of useful hombres, each with a unique set of nifty abilities. However, please note that the character sheets do not include equipment (other than sample weapons and similar attacks) as I created these to use in a wide variety of one-shot adventures. The character bios are collected in this one document for simplicity. Each character gets one page of details, to go along with his or her character sheet below. It also serves as the grimoire for the hucksters and shaman; the spells are detailed on this bio sheet instead of on the character sheet.
- Caroline Parker (Harrowed Thief) (pdf) (gca)
- Father Joseph Donovan (Blessed) (pdf) (gca)
- Jeremiah Coldwater (Rifleman) (pdf) (gca)
- John Bear-Heart (Indian Brave) (pdf) (gca)
- Juan Fuergo (Pistolero) (pdf) (gca)
- Julie Adams (Huckster Reporter) (pdf) (gca)
- Kurt Stanley (Harrowed Soldier) (pdf) (gca)
- Marshal Tom Wilkinson (The Law) (pdf) (gca)
- Professor Ignatius Plume (Mad Scientist) (pdf) (gca)
- Samuel Windspeaker (Shaman) (pdf) (gca)
- Timothy Adamson (Professional Huckster) (pdf) (gca)
- Wen Lo (Martial Artist) (pdf) (gca)
The material presented here is my original creation, intended for use with the GURPS system from Steve Jackson Games (www.sjgames.com); it is released for free distribution, and not for resale, under the permissions granted in the Steve Jackson Games online policy. This material is not official and is not endorsed by Steve Jackson Games. This game references the Savage Worlds game system, available from Pinnacle Entertainment Group at www.peginc.com. Savage Worlds, Deadlands, and all associated logos and trademarks are copyrights of Pinnacle Entertainment Group. Used with permission. Pinnacle makes no representation or warranty as to the quality, viability, or suitability for purpose of this product. GURPS is a registered trademark of Steve Jackson Games. All rights are reserved by their respective copyright and trademark holders. All artwork is public domain, from openclipart.org.
Return to MyGURPS