Splitting IQ In GURPS After The End
Return to GURPS Resources
As I discuss in my house rules, GURPS works better when Per and Will are both separated from IQ, standing alone as separate attributes. Bump up everyone's points about 10-15% to compensate, and you're fine. A setting like After the End, however, requires a little more guidance. When you have fixed templates, it's not enough to say, "Here are some extra points." You also have to specify exactly where those points go.
For the various GURPS After the End templates and lenses, the right adjustment is to add 20 points to each template, placing an average hero at 170 instead of 150. In a perfect world, those 20 points would exactly offset the extra cost of buying up Per and Will separately . . . and for some templates, it does. Others need some additional guidelines, though. Those with lower IQs don't need all 20 points, which leads to the question, "What do we spend the leftover points on?" while brainy templates may need even more points, requiring some cuts to be made.
Here are the official changes that I've made in my games.
- Doc: Requires exactly 20 extra points for Per and Will. No changes.
- Hulk: Requires no extra points for Per and Will, leaving 20 points left over. Raise DX to 13 (and Basic Speed to 6.25). In the experienced lens, the +1 DX becomes optional; you may spend 30 points on other advantages if you wish.
- Hunter: Requires 10 extra points for Per and Will, leaving 10 points left over. Raise Will to 12. Spend 30 points (instead of 25) on the second list of advantage options.
- Nomad: Requires exactly 20 extra points for Per and Will. No changes.
- Scavenger: Requires 10 extra points for Per and Will, leaving 10 points left over. Raise HT to 12 (and Basic Speed to 6.25).
- Tech: Requires 40 extra points for Per and Will, remaining 20 points short. Reduce Per to 12 and Will to 12. Remove reduced Will and Per from the disadvantage options.
- Trader: Requires 30 extra points for Per and Will, remaining 10 points short. Reduce Will to 11. Add "Will +1 or +2 [5 or 10]" to the second list of advantage options.
- Trooper: Requires exactly 20 extra points for Per and Will. No changes.
- Learned: This lens becomes:
Attributes: +1 IQ .
Advantages: Wasteland Wisdom 2  and Wild Talent 1 (Focused, Mental, -20%) .
Skills: As shown, but all two levels lower.
Learned 2 (+50 points): +1 IQ. Raise Wasteland Wisdom to 4  for 10 points and raise Wild Talent to 2  for 16 points. Spend 4 points to add or improve any lens skill.
- Mutated: This lens is unchanged, but my house rule for Regrowth changes Starfish Genes to Regrowth  + Freakishness 2 [-2] (8 points).
Return to GURPS Resources