Torg Eternity House Rules and Clarifications
Return to Torg Eternity
Note: I do not use the optional "(Cosm) Possibility Energy" rules from each cosm book. It's unnecessarily complicated, and Cosm Cards already handle this concept just fine.
Aiming into Melee
Normally shooting into a melee gives a 50% chance of hitting the wrong target. But if you use the Aim maneuver first, you won't hit the wrong target except on a Mishap.
It sometimes makes sense for a character to pick up (in play) a perk or arcane ability from a cosm they aren't native to. This is allowed, but such an ability always causes a personal contradiction! In other words, it's a one-case contradiction even in the cosm from which it stems (unless you have the Adaptable perk). In every other cosm, it's a one-case contradiction (even with Adaptable) -- unless it requires the cosm's laws (*), in which case it's a four-case contradiction.
Much like perks dependent on a cosm's laws are marked with a *, cross-cosm perks should be marked with a ! as a reminder.
Favored and Disfavored
These cancel each other out on a one-for-one basis, so if your roll would be Favored from two aspects and Disfavored from one, it's just Favored. Any "leftover" Favored/Disfavored gives ±2 to your action total (e.g., if you're Disfavored from two sources, you're Disfavored and at -2).
- Anyone who draws a Glory card may immediately choose to discard it and draw a new Destiny card. For example, if a Glory card has already been played this act, further copies are less useful (since the +1 hand size is not cumulative).
- Following the "Nashville Incident," restoring a Zone still requires just one Glory card, but Glory cards can be played only during Dramatic scenes.
Leveled Arcane Perks
If you take the same arcane perk multiple times (e.g., you already have Spellcaster and you take Spellcaster again), it adds two new miracles/powers/spells instead of one.
1. First Aid is part of the Medicine skill
2. Language is simplified (see Torg Eternity Languages)
3. Lockpicking is now called Thievery, and covers all sneaky sleight-of-hand
4. Reality is based on Charisma, not Spirit
Balanced, two-handed weapons -- like quarterstaves and longswords -- are excellent defensive weapons. As such, anyone using such a weapon gets +2 to their melee weapons defense (just as dual-wielders do), unless the weapon has the Min Str or Unwieldy trait.
Upgrading NPC Allies
A player with an attached NPC ally (e.g., a follower or animal companion) may choose to spend XP on the NPC instead of on her own PC. The first perk added costs the usual 5 XP, regardless of how many perks the NPC's base template contained.
Note that, at Beta Clearance, the Intense Training perk is a wonderful way to upgrade a companion or follower! But it must be taken by the PC (not bought as part of the NPC's character sheet) and it can be taken only once per NPC.
Official Clarifications and Errata
- Perks, even cosm-specific ones, are not necessarily lost upon transforming to a new cosm, just those that the GM rules are "incompatible" with the new world (like Spellcaster in the Living Land). Racial perks are the most likely to stay. Thus, you could create a starting PC edeinos who has transformed to Core Earth but still retains one or two Edeinos perks; however, she could not acquire any further Edeinos perks. These retained perks are not considered "cross-cosm" (!) as discussed above.
- Bonuses don't stack unless they explicitly say so. However, pay attention to the way damage is phrased; e.g., edeinos claws inflict a fixed "Strength +2 damage" just like a weapon, so they can receive a bonus on top of that fixed damage.
- Disfavored is a status not found in the core book. It cancels out Favored, or on its own, it negates the first additional die roll you'd get (e.g., from Up or from a Possibility).
- If you use a Multi-Action to attack the same target with two weapons or affect the same target with two different interaction attacks, the effects do not stack. Resolve both attacks (including damage/effect) and then apply the better result.
- A active defense cannot be combined with any other actions (just simple actions). You can declare it even if the villains have initiative (basically using your action early). It lasts until the end of the current round.
- Card and token play is simultaneous on an action. This doesn't normally matter, but if you were to play Drama and Hero on an attack, you could not then play Malestrom to prevent the foe Soaking because doing so would negate the Drama and Hero card play.
- Casting an arcane power requires the target(s) to be in range, and within line of sight, but it can then be maintained until the duration ends (or for Concentration spells, until Concentration is broken).
- When forced to make a Concentration test, if the target of a spell isn't within line of sight and range, the spell effect ends regardless of the result of the Concentration test.
- If a "resisted" power (e.g., DN equals willpower or Spirit) is cast on a willing subject, the DN is unchanged but the subject can use Extra Effort to assist the caster.
- If the Drama card shows multiple DSR (Dramatic Skill Resolution) steps that would apply, one character can attempt to fulfill them as a Multi-Action. Alternatively, multiple characters can attempt those steps individually, in order, but all attempts have a penalty equal to -2 per step attempted (harder than a Multi-Action would be, due to the added complexity of coordination). For example, if ABC is showing, one character can attempt A, then B, then C, all at -4 for the Multi-Action -- or two or three different characters can attempt A, then B, then C, all at -6 for rushed coordination.
- Armor has three pieces: torso, head, and leggings. Full body armor covers all three. Other armor misses one or more.
- Flash grenades (from the Beta Clearance Player's Primer) just do 8 damage in a Medium Blast. A Good hit also causes one condition (Stymied or Vulnerable, attacker's choice), but doesn't deal any extra damage. An Outstanding hit inflicts two conditions. They have Value 5 if requisitioned; they are not normally available for purchase.
Return to Torg Eternity